Dear Joyous Reader,
The beautiful green powder above is called matcha. You’ve probably heard of it before, maybe even tried it! Matcha is a total superfood heavyweight. You may have noticed on instagram that I love making matcha lattes by warming almond or coconut milk and then combining it with some honey and matcha.
Matcha has a variety of health benefits making it a superfood heavyweight:
- FAT BURNING: Increases thermogenesis (the body’s own rate of burning calories) and fat oxidation according to a study featured in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. In fact, it was demonstrated that exercising immediately after drinking matcha green tea resulted in 25% more fat burning during exercise!
- ANTI-CANCER FOOD: EGCG is the active catechin in matcha (and green tea) and it is a very powerful antioxidant and free radical scavenger. In fact, 1 cup of matcha has 137 times the amount of EGCG compared to a conventional cup of green tea.
- DETOX: High quality matcha will be grown in the shade which is why it’s richer in blood cleansing chlorophyll, much more so than other green tea. Chlorophyll is a potent detoxifying compound.
- CHILL OUT: Matcha contains a very special amino acid called L-theanine (5 X more than green tea). L-theanine helps to relieve stress, lower blood pressure and counterbalance the effects of caffeine.
Health studies aside, I personally love matcha because it gives me a sense of alertness and energy without the negative affects of the jitters and anxiety that caffeine from coffee gives me.
Here’s my super yummy smoothie recipe with matcha!
- 1/2 soft avocado, seed removed, peeled
- 1 tsp matcha powder
- 2-3 tbsp raw honey
- 1 banana
- 1 scoop plant-based protein powder
- 1 tsp pure vanilla
- 1 cup nut/hemp milk of your choice
- Filtered water to your desired consistency.
- Combine all ingredients in blender and blend until smooth.
- Makes 1 generous serving.
- Make half the amount for a snack size.
- If you have extra, you can use it as a power snack for later on. Just keep it refrigerated.