When celebrity host of Entertainment Tonight Cheryl Hickey asked me for some health tips after having her second beautiful baby girl Nyla, I was thrilled to share! She looks fabulous already, but wanted to feel her best for her return to ET Canada.
We went grocery shopping together at McEwan Foods. Also, holistic health expert Bryce Wylde and personal trainer Joshua Lipsey share some of their expert tips in this segment as well — watch below!
Now the segment is pretty quick and of course we chatted much longer, so I’ve included some of the tips I shared with Cheryl below.
1. Water, water, water — hydration is absolutely key for weight loss, energy and keeping your metabolism churning. First thing in the morning on an empty stomach, drink freshly squeezed lemon (about 2 tbsp) or apple cider vinegar (1-2 tsp) in a large glass of water (at least 500mL).
2. Eat more hydrating foods. For example, at every meal, make sure include RAW foods ie. Salad, chopped veggies, fruit. A clean & lean breakfast is a GREEN SMOOTHIE!
3. Eat protein at every meal and snack, especially at breakfast for satiety and to boost metabolism.
4. Aim to eat 50% vegetables at lunch and dinner. Especially dark leafy greens. High in fiber, very detoxifying.
5. Eat good fat. Fat helps you lose fat. Good fats: avocado, nuts & seeds, olive oil, coconut oil, fish.
6. Don’t deprive or restrict yourself, this leads to cravings and increased appetite hormones.
7. Listen to your body. Eat when hungry. Don’t eat by the clock. Stop eating when 80% full.
8. Limit common food sensitivities if possible: breads/pasta/cereals, dairy, especially the dreaded sugar. Excess sugar converts to fat and gets stored on your belly, hips and thighs.
9. Focus on quality of food rather than quantity and calorie counting. Choose foods that don’t come in a package. Foods that don’t have a health claim —ie.
10. Avoid “low fat”, Low cal etc. Avoid nutritionalizing your food! Meaning… ditch the counting carbs/proteins/fats. Eat simple, whole foods.
11. Avoid eating heavy meals after 8pm.
12. Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and dinner like a pauper.
Wishing Cheryl and her family all the best for her return to ET Canada this coming Monday! Woohoo!