Butterscotch Chocolate Ripple Smoothie

When I made my smoothie this morning, it brought me back to a time of eating chocolate butterscotch sundaes! My dad would take great pride in buying all the fixings and then organizing them like an assembly line on the kitchen table.

With that lovely memory in mind, I felt like making something energizing, yet uberlicious this morning for me and my man – a butterscotch chocolate ripple smoothie.

I’ve been making smoothies more often as of late because of my swanky new blender I bought a couple of weeks ago. It’s a thousand watt Breville Hemisphere and guess what? It didn’t cost me an arm and a leg. I did an insane amount of research trying to decide between a Vitamix and a Blendtec – and I didn’t get either. The Vitamix has more power by 500 watts, but my thousand watt sexy blender can chew ice, make almond butter, the smoothest hummus and make my smoothies magically delicious!

This butterscotch chocolate ripple smoothie has some megawatt nutrients in it that are as tasty as they are nutritious. This recipe is for two, so cut it in half if you are just make it for yourself:

• 2 tbsp almond butter
  • 1 tsp lucuma powder (This is the powder of a fruit from Peru. You can purchase it at the health food store. It has a maple butter flavour. If you are Canadian, that probably makes you drool, no?)
  • 1 tsp maca root powder (This is a powder as well – and another superfood from Peru! More HERE.)
  • 1 tbsp raw cacao powder
  • 4 tbsp chocolate Chia Goodness (This is my fave morning gluten-free “cereal”. Check here for more)
  • 2 bananas
  • 2 scoops of your favourite protein powder. I used vanilla Sunwarrior Protein which is a sprouted brown rice. I love it because it’s highly digestible, gluten-free, vegan and absolutely delicious. And the best part is that you won’t feel like you have a brick in your stomach like you get from most whey protein shakes.
  • Fill your blender jug with enough almond milk and water to cover the ingredients. I also added a sizeable chunk of ice because it like it cold.
  • Blend away!

Remember to cut the ingredients in half if you are making for one. I used my glass straw by Strawesome – pretty isn’t it?

If you read my most recent post: Clear up your skin Part 1. I’ve got “part II” in the works, so just hang tight – it’s coming! :)

Be joyous!

Joy

Upcoming Workshops in 2012:

Spring Eat Well Feel Well 6-wk nutrition + yoga class
Spring Detox: Apr 14 – SOLD OUT
Feel Good Food: May 12

Joy McCarthy, Registered Holistic Nutritionist and Health Coach of Joyous Health, loves to inspire others to eat well, live well and be happy.

Joy has clients from all over the world and consults via phone and Skype. Contact Joy today and take the first step.

Tags: , ,

14 Comments

1. Sonia Apr 5, 2012 at 9:37 am #

Great post Joy, as always! Looks so yummy!

Have you tried pulverizing veggies in your new Breville blender? Do you think it would work well for that? I’ve been looking for a more budget-friendly alternative to the Vitamix/Blendtec…

Thanks!
    Sonia

• Joy McCarthy Apr 5, 2012 at 12:19 pm #

Yes absolutely. That’s why I bought my Breville because it does everything a blendtec and vitamix can do. The only thing i probably wouldn’t toss into it is a sweet potato raw – however, I’m sure it could chew it up too. I’m very happy with my purchase.

2. Melissa Ramos Apr 5, 2012 at 11:24 am #

Hey Joy, this is a great recipe! Thanks for posting it! I love how we can go back to nostalgic memories and create healthy versions instead. It’s one of my favourite things to do and provides so much comfort. I love lacuma and haven’t had it in my cupboard in a while. Thank you for reminding me to pick some up!

Much love to ya my fellow Nutrition rockstar!

xo

• Joy McCarthy Apr 5, 2012 at 12:17 pm #

Thanks for your comment Melissa!

3. Tamzin Apr 5, 2012 at 2:46 pm #

Sounds so refreshing and yummy! x

4. Chandra Apr 6, 2012 at 12:05 pm #

Looks delish!
    Just curious where you purchased your new blender?!

• Joy McCarthy Apr 7, 2012 at 8:46 am #

I bought it from Sears in the Eaton Centre.

5. Jane Apr 9, 2012 at 9:13 am #

Hi Joy :) Thank you for the wonderful information you share with us! I am wondering if the jug is made of glass? We are concerned about plastics… Thank you!

6. peace Apr 9, 2012 at 4:49 pm #

Thanks for the blender tip! I recently purchased the Vitamix but am thinking of returning it to the manufacturer. It often hobbles around the counter and the blades become stuck when blending thick ingredients. I thought it was supposed to blend nut butters. Ah well! The one I have does have an 8 year warranty though.

I mainly use my blender to make green smoothies with loads of leafy greens – if this one can hold up to it, I think I’ll make the switch!

7. Lindsay Wotherspoon Jan 28, 2013 at 4:10 pm #

Thanks for the tip Joy! I chose the exact same Breville blender for my registry, although was thinking of buying a vitamix instead. I don’t feel the need to eliminate the need for my food processor but want to make sure the Breville can make a smooth Kale smoothie without the bits that get stuck in my teeth! That said, right now I am still using my $40 PC Brand blender. If I can avoid spending $500 on a vitamix all the better!
    Thanks!

8. jenny ocean Feb 18, 2013 at 5:54 pm #

Joy! I am wondering if you could recommend a banana substitute for smoothies like this one? Bananas are not my tummy’s friend, unfortunately.

9. Colleen Feb 15, 2014 at 4:20 pm #

Hi Joy,

YUM this sounds delish…definitely need to source out some lucuma powder at my local health grocery market. I’m not keen on using protein powders…can they be omitted from the smoothie recipes or do you have a substitute suggestion? Currently I usually add plain Greek yogurt, almond butter, chia and/or hemp seeds to up the protein factor of my smoothies.
    Thanks!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Triple Berry Power+ Smoothie | joyoushealth.ca - Apr 7, 2012

[...] inspired by some new ingredients I’ve started using in my joyous kitch. Last week it was a Butterscotch Chocolate Ripple Smoothie with lucuma and today it’s a triple berry smoothie. This smoothie was fibre dense, [...]

2. Meal Plan for week starting 23rd July « noredmeat.com - Aug 22, 2012

[...] Butterscotch chocolate ripple smoothie. Loaded with superfoods. It was so thick it was more like a dessert than a smoothie. mmmmmm [...]