Joyous Veggie Burger Recipe

Check out my special holiday offer: Number 14 – Give the Gift of Joyous Health to a loved one: http://www.joyoushealth.ca/2011/11/29/joyous-health-holiday-gift-guide-14-ideas/

As I mentioned in my last post for Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Cookies, more often then not, I cook or bake something a few times before I post it. I don’t know what’s happening lately but I think I have a magical cooking fairy on my side these days because this recipe was completely last minute and totally freakin’ delicious. In fact, these burgers were effing AMAZING!

Yes, I get thrilled about food. Why? Because I used to be stuck with the notion that healthy food was boring and flavourless. Yes, this was before I became a nutritionist and thought that eating my bran flakes with skim milk everyday for breakie, then my low-fat frozen chicken dinner was healthy. Guess what? I was not as joyous or energetic as I am today (and I had my fair-share of health issues too).

So, without further ranting, check out this recipe for my gluten/soy/dairy-free AMAZINGLY JOYOUS VEGGIE BURGERS t! You did hear that right… a veggie burger that’s not tofu or soy-based, you got it sisters and brothers.

Burger Ingredients:

• 1 can organic black beans, (Eden Organic is BPA-FREE), drained and rinsed*
  • 1 can organic garbanzo (chick peas) beans, (Eden Organic is BPA-FREE), drained and rinsed*
  • 1/2 cup cooked quinoa
  • 1/2 cup sundried tomatoes (If you can find organic sulfite-free, they are better taste/health-wise)
  • 2 tbsp organic curry powder (Plus I tossed in extra cumin and turmeric – just a dash or 2). I suggest you give it a taste test after you add the first tbsp of curry powder and see how you like it. I buy mine in bulk from a health food store and I have Simply Organic cumin and turmeric glass bottle shakers).
  • 1/4 cup organic sesame oil or extra-virgin olive oil
  • 2 tbsp organic wheat-free tamari. If you are allergic or sensitive to soy omit this
  • Handful of fresh parsley, chopped (used dried if you don’t have fresh)
  • Sea salt and pepper to taste.
  • 2 tbsp organic coconut oil

If time allows, you can certainly use dried beans, soak and then cook them. That’s always the best choice health-wise, but I always keep cans of Eden Organic beans around for times like this – when I want a yummy meal fast.

Method:

Preheat oven to 350F. Combine the black beans, garbanzo beans, quinoa into your food processor and blend. You may need to do this in batches if your food processor is not large enough. Add the remaining ingredients – sundried tomatoes, spices, herbs, oil, tamari (NOT the coco oil, that’s to pan fry).  Combine until fully blended. Form into 1.5 inch thick patties or whatever size you like.

In a large pan, melt coconut oil on medium. Once hot, place 4-5 of the patties into your pan to sear the outside. Let cook 4-5 minutes (be careful they don’t burn!) and then flip. Once seared a golden brown colour, place them on a cookie sheet and transfer to the oven. Continue to cook for another 10-12 minutes. You could skip the oven step if you want and eat them right away, I personally like to cook them a bit more.  Now you want to dress them up, which is why you can make this spicy salsa below!

Makes 8 burgers.

Salsa Ingredients:

• 1 ripe avocado chopped
  • 1/2 small red onion finely chopped
  • 2 tomatoes chopped
  • 1 garlic clove finely chopped
  • 1 tsp organic hot dried chili peppers
  • A few gluggs of extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
  • Sea salt and pepper to taste

Method:

Once you’ve chopped all your ingredients, toss them all in a bowl with your EVOO and let sit so the flavours can mingle. Your garlic is a potent superfood and even more so if you let it sit 10 minutes post-chopping so that the naturally occurring chemical called “allicin” can work it’s magic.

How to enjoy:

Forget a burger bun! Take a couple of handfuls of any leafy green and place on a plate.  Place 1-2 spoonfuls of the salsa on top of the greens, then place 1-2 burgers (depending on the size) on top and then more salsa. You may want to put another drizzle of EVOO on top.

NOTE: These are not burgers that are going to solidify into a solid mass. However, if you sear them properly they will stick together. Just keep this in mind, because they are not ideal for putting into a burger bun. But that doesn’t matter cause they taste so gosh darn delicious!

As well, over the next week or so, I will be posting a 5-part series on my joyoushealth youtube channel on How To Get A Flat Belly, and it’s NOT what you think! Here’s the first video of 5: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=bwijyautJPs

Have a joyous day!
Joy

Ps. Stuck on a gift-giving idea? How about one of these GIFT IDEAS or the Gift of Joyous Health!

Pps. I will be on the Global News Morning Show on Monday between 7 and 8am EST talking about holiday stress-busters.

Joy McCarthy, Registered Holistic Nutritionist and Health Coach of Joyous Health, loves to inspire others to eat well, live well and be happy.

Joy has clients from all over the world and consults via phone and Skype. Contact Joy today and take the first step to achieving joyous health. REASONS TO HIRE A HOLISTIC NUTRITIONIST.

Tags: , ,

17 Comments

1. Sandra Dec 9, 2011 at 12:48 pm #

Is it 1/4 cup of sesame or extra-virgin olive oil? I think you left that out. Also, do you do the extra cooking in the oven at 350 degrees?

• Joy McCarthy Dec 9, 2011 at 3:15 pm #

Thanks for that catch! Yes, 1 cup – just fixed.
      As for the oven, yes, bake them after you’ve pan seared them – per second paragraph of “method”. Let me know how they turn out!

2. Erica Dec 9, 2011 at 8:12 pm #

Haha oh man that makes me laugh because I totally had skim milk and bran flake days before nutrition school. It must be part of the process or something!

• Joy McCarthy Dec 11, 2011 at 12:35 pm #

I think so…I just remember thinking to myself how healthy I was!

3. Vani Dec 11, 2011 at 12:48 am #

Mmmmmm these make me so hungry and look incredible. I love how you used sun dried tomatoes! YUM. I wonder if you can skip the frying in the pan part and just directly put them in the oven…Have you tried this?

• Joy McCarthy Dec 11, 2011 at 12:34 pm #

Yes definitely! I just like to sear the outside so they stick together better. If you were going to bake the, I would suggest 350F for 25-30 minutes on a greased baking pan or sheet.

• Vani Dec 11, 2011 at 11:13 pm #

Thanks – awesome. CAN”T WAIT!

4. Patrizia Dec 12, 2011 at 4:04 pm #

Hi Joy,

I really enjoy your website and learn so much from it-thank you-your work is inspiring and my daughter and I to make a lot of changes in our lives. We really enjoyed your video on the products you use. It is difficult to navigate your way through the various products and the chemicals to decide on a product line. We try to run all names and products through the EWG site, but it’s not so easy so we really Appreciated your recommendation and are planning to purchase some Pure and Simple products.

I live in Orillia. My 23 year old daughter and I will be making a trip to Toronto to have a facial at Pure and Simple over the March Break. Is there a particular location you would recommend and do you think we should buy a few products online or wait until we see our facialist first? Is Pure and Simple where you go for your holistic faciials or are there other places in Toronto?

Patrizia

• Joy McCarthy Dec 12, 2011 at 4:43 pm #

Hi Patrizia,
      Thank you for taking the time to write. I’m thrilled to hear that you and your daughter are inspired and making healthy changes – yay!
      As for holistic facials, Pure+Simple or 889 Yonge are both amazing spas and I reco both. Let me know how your daughter likes them. Have a joyous day!

5. Matt Collins Dec 12, 2011 at 4:17 pm #

You can make them raw if you have a dehydrator. Soak the beans and quinoa overnight and then rinse them twice a day until they sprout (about a day and a half–keep an eye on them). Process the same and dehydrate for an hour at 140 then reduce to 115 for another 4-5 hours or until dry. You might want to flip them once or twice also.

I’ve made similar ones before, but can’t wait to try it with your recipe!

• Joy McCarthy Dec 12, 2011 at 4:43 pm #

Thanks Matt – I don’t have a dehydrator, but great tip for those who do. Thanks for sharing!!

• Matt Collins Dec 12, 2011 at 5:24 pm #

Welcome. I went through an all raw phase at one point, didn’t keep it up though. I still like to make my favorite raw treats from time to time. Raw veggie burgers is one of them.

6. Kymberli Ker Feb 11, 2013 at 7:05 pm #

Hey Joy, to help my burgers from falling apart, I put them in the fridge for 20 minutes before I cooked them…..stayed together beautifully!!!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Green Bean Cabbage Salad: Incredibly Bone-Building | joyoushealth.ca - Jan 23, 2012

[...] as a side dish to accompany these veggie burgers – it’s a match made in heaven with the crunch of this salad and the texture and taste of [...]

2. Brainy breakie: Egg Burrito | joyoushealth.ca - Jan 28, 2012

[...] guac and salsa is to make them from scratch. Check out these recipes: guacamole with bite, and salsa. If you don’t have time to make either from scratch, make sure the packaged stuff has no [...]

3. Collard Green Burger Wraps - Feb 7, 2012

[...] Joy’s Quinoa and Bean Burgers [...]

4. Asian-Inspired Squash, Kidney Bean & Buckwheat Burgers « food with presence - Dec 17, 2012

[...] Squash, Kidney Bean & Buckwheat Burgers (Inspired by Joy’s recipe here and Meghan’s [...]