3 Foods to Eat for Hair Health

I didn’t always have thick healthy hair. In fact, in my late teens/early twenties my hair was thinning and falling out faster than it seemed to be growing back. This was really upsetting for me as a young woman who never had any health problems and now I had a problem that seemed to have no obvious solution. Growing up, I just assumed I would always have lush thick hair because my mom did and my hair is very similar. My hormones were completely imbalanced and the root cause of this was my diet and poor digestive health. Once I got back on track, my hair quickly came back thick and lush. Ya!

Genetics definitely play a role in the thickness and texture of your hair, but the foods you eat determine how shiny and healthy it is. Just like the health of your skin, what you put IN your body has a great influence on the health and beauty of the outside. You really don’t need to spend extra money on fancy products at your hair salon. Focus on items you buy at the grocery store to create beauty from the inside out.

In this video, I share 3 foods for hair health that I eat regularly!

If you need some inspiration for healthy recipes, I develop weekly holistic recipes for AOL’s That’s Fit, here are 55 recipes for you to check out: http://www.thatsfit.ca/2009/10/16/holistic-and-delicious-recipes-from-joy-mccarthy/

EnJOY.

Tags: , , , , , ,

15 Comments

1. Salah May 5, 2010 at 8:15 am #

great post!!! I have naturally shiny soft hair but I want it to grow faster!! I chopped it off to donate to locks of love so I’m def ready for it to grow back!

2. josie May 5, 2010 at 3:14 pm #

Love this Joy!! thanks, I really need advice on my hair… it’s so brittle and dry. Do you think that fish oil supplements would help to?

• joyousness May 6, 2010 at 4:22 am #

Yes definitely helps. My fave brand is Nutra-Sea. It’s a clean product you can buy at most health food stores. Not a vegan-formula FYI.

3. Trent May 5, 2010 at 3:15 pm #

Hello Joy, I will pass this along to my mom. Her hair has been falling out ever since my dad passed away. Thanks.

4. Heidi May 6, 2010 at 9:05 am #

I’ve always had really thick crazy hair but I lost handfuls of it after I had both my kids so these will help me out :) Also, I’m just wondering… I know in a lot of your posts you talk about strengthening your liver, but I’m wondering more about helping your kidneys out. My brother in law only has one kidney, and it’s not even working as efficiently as it could. His blood pressure is through the roof and I’m so scared for him. I want to do anything I can to help him, but I don’t know what would be helpful. What foods does he need to avoid or cut down on(besides salt) and what should he be adding to his diet? Any suggestions would be great. Thank you so much. Have a wonderful day!

5. ailanna May 6, 2010 at 5:49 pm #

I’m a vegetarian, so salmon and fish oil supplements are out of the question for me. Is there a good alternative?

• joyousness May 7, 2010 at 7:54 am #

Chia and flaxseeds are a nice vegetarian alternative to getting fish oil.

6. belle May 10, 2010 at 12:26 pm #

Could you tell me how avocado affects hair health and growth, if at all. Thanks! Love your blog!

• joyousness May 10, 2010 at 12:50 pm #

Avocados are a wonderful source of monounsaturated fatty acids which have a very hormonally balancing affect on your body. Hormonal imbalanced is a very common cause of hair loss. So yes, eat your avocados!

7. hj May 20, 2010 at 5:32 pm #

If you have hair loss (pulling large spools of hair from your drain each time you shower) ask your doctor to check if your thyroid is functioning low and your iron levels. Both hypothyroidism and anemia cause hair loss and dry, brittle hair. No matter what you eat, if you suffer form either condition and its untreated, it won’t help at all.

• joyousness May 21, 2010 at 8:14 am #

Yes great point, low iron and low functioning thyroid can both contribute to hair loss. Interesting, salmon, beans and greens are excellent sources of iron. It’s always best to bring up levels by natural means.

8. Sidney Jul 9, 2014 at 2:18 pm #

Asking questions are really good thing if you are not understanding anything entirely, however
    this piece of writing offers good understanding yet.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Tweets that mention 3 delicious foods for healthy hair, my latest vidblog: -- Topsy.com - May 5, 2010

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Joy McCarthy, Maggie Savage. Maggie Savage said: I love Joy's vidblogs RT @joyoushealth 3 delicious foods for healthy hair, my latest vidblog: http://ow.ly/1GKjK [...]

2. Joyous Vid: What’s In My Grocery Bag? « joyous health - Jul 8, 2010