Let’s just say I’m overjoyed with my latest kitchen gadget — my spiralizer — that I bought from Carol at Belmonte Raw. I would like to be superbly nerdy and make that statement with at least five exclamation marks!
So after shopping at Brickworks Evergreen Farmers Market on the weekend, I had an organic local yellow zucchini just begging me to turn it into raw noodles. That’s exactly what I did — I made this amazingly fresh, delicious raw vegan dinner for Walker and I. He loved it! (and so did I).
Before I share this recipe, in true nutritionista form, I must tell you a few reasons why this dish is so nutritious:
- The polysaccharides in zucchini include an unusual amount of pectin. This pectin is being linked in repeated animal studies to protection against diabetes and better regulation of insulin.
- Zucchini is high in a trace mineral called manganese, which helps the body metabolize protein and carbohydrates, participates in the production of sex hormones (oh la la!), and catalyzes the synthesis of fatty acids and cholesterol.
- The combo of good fats from the avocado and almond butter will promote feelings of satiety. Avocados are a source of B vitamins, zinc and magnesium — all three are wonderful for the nervous system.
- 1 large zucchini
- 1 cup freshly chopped parsley or any of your favourite fresh herbs
- 1/4 cup unsalted, unroasted sunflower seeds
- 2 cups arugula or spinach
Creamy Thai Sauce
1 tbsp almond butter
3 tsp grated fresh ginger
1/2 fresh lemon, juiced
1 clove of garlic
1 tbsp of wheat-free tamari
1/2 cup filtered water
1/2 a ripe avocado
First of all, spiralize the heck out of that zucchini! If you don’t have one, this is the brand I bought: Paderno*. This is what it will look like. See below.
Now let’s get saucy!
Take all your ingredients (EXCEPT your fresh herbs) and put them in a blender or food processor. Blend until smooth. Place your zucchini pasta into a big bowl and mix with your sauce.
Serves 2 with leftovers.
UPCOMING COURSE – Early bird discount is ending August 18th!
Joy McCarthy, Registered/Certified Holistic Nutritionist (CNP, ROHP, RNCP), writer, speaker and Health Coach of Joyous Health, loves to inspire others to eat well, live well and be happy.
Joy has clients from all over the world and consults via phone and Skype. Contact Joy today and take the first step to joyous health!