What does kale + orange + omega3 equal? A beautifying, satisfying, detoxifying and brain-boosting lunch. This recipe was all that and more! Forget the old notion that healthy food is tasteless, bland and boring because this couldn’t be further from the truth. If you are stuck in sandwich-lunch-land then you must join me on my healthy island of delicious lunch bowls.
Last night I made this salad dressing at dinner to go with my leafy greens and then again today for lunch because it was SOOO freakin delish!
- 6-8 handfuls of kale (I used baby kale that was organic and pre-washed)
- 3/4 cup walnuts
- 2 small oranges sliced
- 1/3 cup sesame or extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup brown rice vinegar
- 4 tbsp orange (naturally) flavoured Omega 3 fish oil. (Note: This does NOT have a fishy taste. I used the Genuine Health brand and I bought it from Whole Foods). If you don’t have this or you are vegan, then use hemp or flax oil.
- 1/2 cup fresh mint
- Fresh juice from 1 orange
- 2 tbsp orange rind
Method: Place all your dressing ingredients into a food processor and blend till the mint is completely chopped up, about 30 seconds. Place your leafy greens into a large bowl and toss with the dressing. Sprinkle with walnuts and orange slices.
Makes 4 generous servings.
This salad is great for a cloudy or damp day because it will brighten your spirit, not only because the omega 3s are so brain-loving, but it has such a fresh and uplifting taste.
ps. Last week I made a Kale Quinoa Sweet Potato Bowl and enjoyed it for a few lunches.
Upcoming Workshops in 2012:
Joy McCarthy, Registered Holistic Nutritionist and Health Coach of Joyous Health, loves to inspire others to eat well, live well and be happy.
Joy has clients from all over the world and consults via phone and Skype. Contact Joy today and take the first step.