Good day beauties,
Before I share my breakfast eating tips, I have some links to share and info on upcoming events that I’m joyous to tell you about.
1. FREE JOYOUS HEALTH seminar next Wednesday May 11th at 7pm in Toronto (yes that’s NEXT Wednesday – soon!). Want to learn what foods will boost your libido, increase your energy and make you feel more joyous? Come out and learn about my favourite SUPERFOODS! You must REGISTER HERE to sign up and the last seminar was sold out, so don’t delay.
2. Spring Detox tips – Ditch The Doritos, yes you can! I was interviewed for an article on detox tips for Spring, enjoy. –> http://womenspost.ca/articles/healthandnutrition/ditch-doritos-detox
3. As you might know, I write a monthly column for Tonic Magazine on Farmer’s Markets that I visit. I’m excited to tell you that I will now be doing healthy restaurant reviews in Toronto too! You can pick up a copy at any health food store, mostly in Toronto. Here is the May article I wrote on my review of Sorauren Farmers’s Market – Good Food_may. (scroll down to the last page on that PDF).
4. I have saved the best news for last. I am absolutely thrilled to tell you that Michelle Uy and I will be taking Eat Well Feel Well to Oaxaca, Mexico in March 2012. It will be one of the most life-changing trips of your life! We will announce the details soon, but will be taking a very limited number of people, 15-20 at the most. If you would like to be put on the list, then please email me at email@example.com to save your spot.
As sit here and sip my rooibos creme brulee tea with a squeeze of lemon and a touch of honey from Davids Tea on Queen West, I am going to pull up a bunch of links for you on really delicious breakfast food recipes. I did a corporate wellness seminar today on what to eat for breakfast, what NOT to eat for breakfast and I realized that there is a lot of confusion around what is healthy and what is not.
I have a feeling you most likely want your food to be as nourishing as it is delicious or perhaps the other way around, which is really the same thing (okay I’m babbling), point being, these recipes are nutritionist and foodie-approved breakfast ideas. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Here are the top 10 reasons breakie is so gosh darn important:
1. Increases metabolic rate. Your body has been in starvation mode all night. Wake it up with something nourishing and this will help keep your waistline trim by increasing your body’s metabolic rate (fat-burning potential).
2. Balances blood sugar. Provided you are not eating a white bagel or a muffin, your mood and energy will be good and you will reduce the risk of diabetes, heart disease and obesity.
3. Gets you on track to make healthy choices all day. People who eat breakfast tend to eat a healthier diet overall. Makes sense right? I know this to be true for every client I consult, as soon as they get on the right track with their breakie, they are so inspired and motivated for the rest of the day to make better choices.
4. Gives you energy (not just physical), increases your mental & creative power. Think about the fact that you are literally FEEDING YOUR BRAIN when you eat breakfast.
5. Promotes detoxification. Gets things moving in your gut after being in “starvation mode” all night. After you eat, food is pushed through and should be pushed out, making room for another meal to be digested.
6. You will eat LESS calories later on in the day if you eat breakfast.
7. Skipping breakfast increase your body’s insulin response, which in turn increases fat storage (muffin-top).
8. Skipping breakfast is associated with decreased physical activity. Less activity, less energy (weight gain), increased risk of depression.
9. Breakfast skippers tend to eat more junk later in the day. ie chips and candy than those who eat a healthy breakfast.
10. Many people tell me they don’t have for breakfast. Sorry, but this is no excuse. Would your car perform efficiently if you decided you didn’t have time to fill it with gas? Would your bicycle work if you decided you didn’t have time to fill the tires with air? Make time for yourself. YOU are the best person to take care of you. Taking just 10 minutes of mindful time in the morning for fueling your body with goodness is an affirmation to yourself that you are 100% worth it.
Here are some of my favourite breakfast ideas. I do hope you enjoy them as much as I do!
- Eggs for the Brain: http://www.thatsfit.ca/2010/04/04/eggs-for-the-brain-vegetable-scramelet-recipe/
- Gluten-free Pancakes: http://www.thatsfit.ca/2010/12/24/gluten-free-blackberry-coconut-pancakes/
- Breakie-quinoa-bowl: http://www.thatsfit.ca/2009/11/17/a-hot-healthy-breakfast-apple-cinnamon-quinoa/
- Green Energizing Smoothie: http://www.thatsfit.ca/2010/10/24/green-smoothie-recipe/
- Sunshine Pancakes: http://www.thatsfit.ca/2010/01/10/whole-wheat-flaxseed-sunshine-pancakes/