I love almond milk in my morning muesli or in a smoothie as an alternative to dairy. If you didn’t see my post on milk, then I encourage you to give it a gander. There are many decent brands at the grocery store, but watch out for the sodium content. Or better yet, make your own!
This recipe was sent to me from my friend Danielle, who is a busy mother of two and has a full-time personal training business. She says “it is the most delicious almond milk ever!” and she loves it on her oatmeal.
5 cups filtered water
1 cup raw organic almonds
2 tbsp organic maple syrup
1) Soak almonds overnight in enough water to cover by an inch.
2) Drain off almonds and rinse several times.
3) Heat water almost to boil.
4) Place almonds in blender and grind to a fine texture
5) Add 3 cups hot water and maple syrup. Blend for 2-3 minutes
6) Place a medium sized fine strainer (lined with cheese cloth if desired) over a large bowl. Pour almond milk into strainer and allow to filter through.
7) Return almond fiber to blender and blend again with remaining 2 cups of water. Strain again.
8) Makes just under 5 cups. Keep in fridge in sealed container.
Guess what Danielle does with the leftover almond fiber – she uses in the shower as a body scrub! Cool eh?
If you enjoyed this recipe — there’s more listed here.